Pudhina Thogayal | Mint Thogayal
Thogayal are tasty spicy or tangy thick chutney used as an accompaniment with hot rice and rasam or just plain steaming white rice and ghee. The mint thogayal is a wonderful combination of mint and crunchy roasted bengal gram. The sourness from tamaring and the hotness from green chilly makes it just irresistible.
- 1 regular bunch Mint
- 2 tablespoon Kadala Paruppu or Bengal Gram
- 3 nos Green Chilly (Round Variety)
- 1 cup Shredded Coconut
- 75 ml Water
- as preferred Table Salt
- 1 tablespoon Corn Oil
- a regular lemon size Tamarind
- Pluck mint leaves from stem and collect all mint leaves in a bowl.
- Wash mint leaves in water for 3 times to remove dust.
- Spread mint leaves on kitchen towel.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan (a pressure pan).
- Add tamarind, bengal gram and green chillies and fry well.
- Add mint leaves and put off flame but toss mint leaves to get roasted.
- Transfer content to a mixer and add shredded coconut, water, salt and grind to a thick smooth paste.
- Serve with steaming hot rice and ghee.