Mutton Curry Thalasherry Style
Actually yesterday morning my kid woke up by 5 30 am. We both finished our morning cuppa and were out by 6 am to do some gardening. At 7 am the cleanliness bug bit me and I began to clean every shelves of the house. That is when my old recipe diary was found.
The result was awesome and my husband almost drank the gravy for its awesome taste. I really wonder this is how great recipes come up with certain combo of minimum ingredients. If I had tasted this else where how on earth would I have guessed the ingredients. I bet no one can guess that the wonderful taste came from fennel and garlic.
No! I am not exaggerating, do try it for yourself and give me reply regarding your thought on the taste.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 250 g Mutton
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 100 g Peeled Garlic Pods
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilly Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- as per taste Salt
- 1 cup Coconut Paste (Super Fine)
- few Curry leaves
- Few Chopped Coriander
- Wash the mutton pieces and set aside.
- Grind fennel, garlic, salt, turmeric and red chilly powder to a smooth taste,
- Add a teaspoon or 2 of water to make a smooth paste.
- Heat a pressure cooker.
- Add the ground paste and mutton and pressure cook for 10 whistles in medium flame.
- Do not add water while cooking mutton.
- Once the pressure comes down, open the cooker and switch on the flame.
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut paste (Check tips below) and let the gravy boil well for 3 minutes.
- Switch off and serve hot with rice and papad.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Except when making mutton soups (where you need more broth) do not add water when pressure cooking mutton.
- Ususally after adding coconut, the gravy is not let to boil, but here it has to boil for 3 minutes .
- For coconut paste, I used 150 g (1/2 a shell coconut scrapped) of scrapped coconut with 100 ml warm water and ground it for 1 minute in a 750 watt mixie to get a fine smooth paste.
- You can adjust time and quantity as per your jar.