Pongal is a special dish of Tamilnadu. I am not really a big fan of pongal but after my son achu came into my life, this is a regular food at my home. My LO achu simply loves it. It is very healthy tasty dish and I now love it too because often I eat the left overs after feeding him.
A simple one pot meal.
Rice- 1 cup
Split green gram (Pasi Paruppu)- 1 cup
Water - 6 cups
Salt as per taste
Oil- 3 tbsp
Whole Pepper- 1 tbsp
Jeera- 1 tbsp
Mustard- 1 tsp
Curry Leaves Few
Green chillies- 3
Ginger (finely chopped)- 1 tbsp
Ghee- 1/2 cup
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- When oil is hot add curry leaves, green chillies, jeera, mustard, ginger and fry them well for a couple of minutes.
- Add water and salt.
- Add washed rice and dhall.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 8 whistles.
- Let the pressure cool down, open the lid and the pongal is ready.
- Add ghee and give it a stir.
- Serve hot with Sambar and Chutney.
Points to be noted:
- For the best tasting pongal ratio of rice to dhall should be 1:1.
- For every 1 glass of rice add 3 glass of water and for every 1 glass of dhall add 3 glass of water.
- The dish should be mushy and well cooked.
- You can fry some cashew nut in ghee and add it to the dish while serving.
- Healthy dish for toddlers (use pepper powder instead of pepper).