Parupu Payasam- Vishu Special
Which "Sadhya" is complete without payasam. Though there are many varieties of Payasam s this paruppu (dhall) payasam is a benchmark. Yummy to taste easy to cook. Even a beginner can succeed making this.
Pasi Paruppu (Moong Dhal)- 2 cups
Water for cooking pasi paruppu.
Coconut milk- 2 cups (1st milk)
Coconut milk- 2 cups (2nd milk)
Ghee- 3 tbsp
Cashew- 1 cup
- Heat a kadai and dry roast pasi parrupu till golden brown and a nice aroma arises.
- Now pressure cook this pasi paruppu for 5 whistles with 4 cups of water.
- Add second coconut milk to the cooked paruppu and let it boil.
- Now add jaggery and stir slowly till jaggery is completely melted.
- Add the second coconut milk and give a quick stir and put off the flame.
- Heat another kadai with Ghee and fry cashews and elachi and add it to the payasam.
- Serve in bowls.
- For 1st coconut milk, grind 1 coconut with1/2 cup of hot water and extract the thick milk completely, this is the first milk.
- To the extracted coconut add 1 cup of hot water and grind to a smooth paste and extract the second milk.
- The first milk will be very thick and second milk will be runny.
- After you add first milk the payasam should not boil, if it does the coconut milk will curdle.