Mutton curryMutton is not my cup of tea, however I don't mind cooking it. Mutton is a little tough to cook and requires pressure cooking prior to regular cooking so the gravy needs to be thick and rich enough to enhance the taste of the meat. This recipe is one which gives a rich tasty Mutton Curry. Usually at my home mutton is cooked with potato or drumstick which adds wonders to the gravy.
I did not have a drumstick handy so tried out with the potato.
Ginger- 1 inch piece
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Cumin- 1 tsp
Coconut- 1.2 cup
Red chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Now add 2 tbsp of oil and roast the above all ingredients and grind to make a smooth paste.
Mutton- 250 gms
Curry leaves few
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Fry curry leaves and add the ground masala.
- Pressure cook mutton for 3 whistles.
- Add mutton and potatoes and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve hot with white rice or aapam.
Points to be noted:
- Mutton should be pressure cooked plain without masala.
- Do not pressure cook along with coconut masala as coconut will curdle.
- Addition of potato is optional you can skip it.
- For extra flavor and richness potato and drumstick addition is suggested.