Garlic Bread- Tangzhong MethodFinally I have done my Baking challenge for the month of March. I feel so happy. This is the Tangzong method of making Garlic bread.
Adapted from Christine's Recipes
- 50gm/ 1/3 cup bread flour
- 250ml/ 1 cup water (could be replaced by milk, or 50/50 water and milk) ( I used milk and water)
- Formula of 1 parts of flour with 5 parts of water heat at 65 c/ 150F.
- 110 gm milk
- 100 gm Tangzhong
- 36gm sugar
- 6 gm salt
- 200 gm bread flour
- 6 gm instant dry yeast
- 40 gm unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- Garlic Patse- 1 tsp
- Garlic flakes- 3 tbsp
- Mix flour in water and milk well without any lumps. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, whisk or spatula to prevent burning and sticking while you cook along the way.
- The mixture becomes thicker and thicker. Once you notice some “lines” appear in the mixture for every stir you make with the spoon. It’s done. If you want to check the temperature of tangzhong it is 65 C/149 F. Remove from heat.
- Transfer into a clean bowl. Cover with a cling wrap sticking onto the surface of tangzhong to prevent from drying up. Let cool. The tangzhong can be used straight away once it cools down to room temperature. Just measure out the amount you need. The leftover tangzhong can be stored in fridge up to a few days as long as it doesn't turn grey. If so, you need to discard and cook some more. (Note: The chilled tangzhong should return to room temperature before adding into other ingredients.)
- Whisk the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the milk, and tangzhong.
- Mix until the ingredients come together, and then knead until it forms dough. Add the butter and continue to knead and medium/high speed until the dough becomes smooth and elastic and no longer sticky.
- Grease a baking tray and flatten the dough to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Make some cuts with a knife so it will be easy to seperate bread after baking.
- Heat the oven at 250°F and bake for about 20 mins.
- Let it cook on a wire rack and top it with some oregano.
- Serve hot with yummy mayonnaise.
Other Cake Recipes Other Baked Recipes: